Business-management software as an enabler of mobility for modern SMEs
19 May 2017
There have been a large number of developments in mobile and cloud over the last number of years, especially when it comes to the business management (Enterprise Resource Planning) software industry, where connecting the entire organisation through integrated systems is the primary goal.
From distribution, to the manufacturing process, to marketing, sales, and more; business management software is no longer considered a luxury, but rather a requirement and the enabler of mobility for a growing modern business.
Large organisations have been at the forefront of such technologies for many years now, but for small to medium sized businesses, quick and secure access to real-time business information via mobile devices is becoming an enabler for modern commerce.
Whether it is on the factory floor, office, or out in the field, there are now solutions capable of integrating and facilitating staff and business processes anytime, from any location. But what does mobility really account to within an organisation? Let us explore some of the key benefits that are of direct relevance to a modern SME.
- More accurate data capture: mobile solutions make it easy for workers to enter all relevant data accurately as they gather it in the field without re-keying the data into back end systems. Paper and disintegrated systems leave a lot to be desired as data has a habit of being duplicated, wasting valuable time and money.
- Greater productivity: many modern workers spend valuable time driving in cars or sitting in airports. Mobile business management software enables such workers to use time outside of the office more productively. Through mobile solutions designed for specific use-cases, workers now have the tools, materials and information required to minimise waste during downtime.
- Closer business relationships and improved customer service: having information available in real-time and at the touch of a button helps mobile workers improve business relationships and response times to queries and issues.
If you are looking to integrate mobility into your workforce there are further factors that must be considered. These include functionality, usability, compatibility and security.
- Functionality: basic reporting and dashboards have been available on mobile devices for some time now, but companies are now looking to do more on the go than ever before. Field operatives are now expecting the same functionality on their mobile devices as they would on a desktop computer. Functionality such as being able to create orders and invoices, check customer information, and update such information in real-time is now possible.
- Usability: modern user interfaces must be optimised for smaller screens, with large UI elements that are touch-friendly, that would also ensure automatic scalability across devices. The interfaces must be simple, touch screen enabled, and easy-to-use in order to eliminate employee frustration.
- Compatibility: the technology must work seamlessly on a variety of devices, such as smartphones, laptops, and tablets. While there has been some pushback toward BYOD (Bring Your Own Device), the trend of BYOD and allowing employees to use their personal devices has taken off, and is becoming the norm in workplaces.
- Security: increased data accessibility helps improve efficiency and responsiveness, but it creates more data security issues. Care must be taken to secure data both internally and externally. This is especially true, and a greater concern for employers when discussing BYOD and employees personal devices that also need to be protected.
All in all, it is clear that there are direct advantages to embracing mobility and its practices. If you wish to learn more about business management software and how it can enable mobility in your organisation, please see www.herbstsoftware.com.http://www.engineersjournal.ie/2017/05/19/herbst-business-management-software-mobility-modern-smes/http://www.engineersjournal.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Engineering-tablet-1024x878.jpghttp://www.engineersjournal.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Engineering-tablet-300x300.jpgSponsoredindustry,management,software