‘New European Technical Rules for Assessment and Retrofitting of Existing Structures’ report update
28 July 2015
The Joint Research Centre (JRC) Science and Policy Report ‘New European Technical Rules for the Assessment and Retrofitting of Existing Structures’ has been uploaded to the Eurocodes: Building the Future website. The report has been uploaded to enable engineers to read the report and comment on content in the document and its suitability to be developed as a CEN Technical Specification.
Comments on the draft report should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject ‘Comments on Assessment and Retrofitting of Existing Structures’. Comments should be made using the standard commenting template which can be downloaded by following the link to the CEN Commenting form. The closing date for comments is August 21.
Comments received will be reviewed by the Eurocodes Consultative Committee (NSAI/TC 015) before being sent to CEN/TC 250.
Phase two of the Eurocode systematic review has been launched
The European technical committee dealing with Structural Eurocodes, CEN/TC 250 has launched phase two of the systematic review of the suite of Eurocodes. The purpose of the systematic review is to have the comments of practising engineers to feed into the development of the second generation of the Eurocodes.
The second phase includes the review of seven out of the 58 parts of the Eurocodes. The seven parts available for comment are listed below:
- I.S. EN 1991-4:2006 Eurocode 1: Actions on Structures – Part 4:Silos and Tanks;
- I.S. EN 1993-1-3:2006 Eurocode 3 – Design of Steel Structures General Rules – Supplementary Rules for Cold-formed Members and Sheeting;
- I.S. EN 1993-1-5:2006 Eurocode 3 – Design of Steel Structures – Part 1-5: Plated Structural Elements;
- I.S. EN 1993-1-6:2007 Eurocode 3 – Design of Steel Structures – Part 1-6: Strength and Stability of Shell Structures;
- I.S. EN 1993-1-7:2007 Eurocode 3 – Design of Steel Structures – Part 1-7: Plated Structures Subject to out of Plane Loading;
- I.S. EN 1995-2:2005 Eurocode 5: Design of Timber Structures – Part 2: Bridges;
- I.S. EN 1998-5:2005 Eurocode 8: Design Of Structures For Earthquake Resistance – Part 5: Foundations, Retaining Structures And Geotechnical Aspects.
This is an opportunity for the Irish engineering community to identify any modifications that are required to improve the suite of Eurocodes. For information on how to submit comments on any of the Eurocode parts above, please visit the NSAI Eurocodes Review page. Comments should be submitted by November 1.
Public inquiry period open for two amendments to Eurocode National Annexes
A period of public inquiry has opened on the following amendments to National Annexes:
- Amendment to the National Annex to I.S. EN 1992-1-1:2004+ A1:2014 Eurocode 2: Design of concrete structures – Part1-1: General rules and rules for buildings;
- Amendment to the National Annex to I.S. EN 1993-1-4:2006+ A1:2015 Eurocode 3 – Design of steel structures – Part 1-4:General rules – Supplementary rules for stainless steels.
The amendments can be viewed and comments submitted by visiting Your Standards, Your Say. The public inquiry period will close on August 28.http://www.engineersjournal.ie/2015/07/28/new-european-technical-rules-assessment-retrofitting-existing-structures-report-uploaded-eurocodes-website/http://www.engineersjournal.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Eurocodes1.jpghttp://www.engineersjournal.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Eurocodes1-300x300.jpgNewsbuilding regulations,European Union